Enrollment Procedure for VBS
(Vienna Bilingual Schooling)
- Enrolment and orientation talks take place in the first week of the enrolment period 13th – 16th January 2020 at the VBS primary school.
- Please arrange an appointment with the head teacher in advance!
- Notice of eligibility for the VBS programme will be sent via e-mail (or by post if e-mail is not possible) on 17th January 2020.
- If your child is not eligible for the VBS programme you have the possibility to enrol your child in another class or at another school in the second week of the enrolment period from the 20th – 23rde January 2020.
- Further details of other projects with a modern language emphasis offered by the Vienna Board of Education can be found here: https://eb.ssr-wien.at/index.php/en/downloads-en/file/320-fremdsprachenmodell.
- School places are allocated by the responsible school inspectorate.
1. The interest of parents/guardians and pupils in a bilingual school far outweighs the actual number of school places available. It is therefore inevitable that not everyone who wishes to enroll their child in a VBS primary school can be allocated a place.
2. Due to the fact that the number of school places do not meet the high demand, it is necessary to have a special enrollment procedure for the VBS schools, which involves an orientation talk with the child.
3. Understandably, only a brief impression of the child can be obtained during the course of this orientation talk. However, this factor is taken into consideration by the experienced team of experts, as well as by the local VBS commission. The orientation talk procedure was developed in cooperation with school psychologists at the Vienna Board of Education and external experts from the University of Graz, and incorporates the following aspects:
- social skills and emotional competence
- communicative strategies (flexibility within languages)
- communication skills in English and German
4. The localised VBS commission (made up of the head teacher, class and native speaker teachers, as well as supervisory personnel) decides upon the eligibility of the child after the orientation talk has taken place. The results are then passed onto parents/guardians electronically (or by post). School place allocation is the exclusive responsibility of the school inspectorate, after statutory guidelines (siblings, location of residence) have been taken into account. Determination of school maturity is the sole responsibility of the head teacher.
5. In order to ensure the continued existence and assurance of quality within the VBS pilot project, it is of utmost importance that there is a balance of dominant English speaking and dominant German speaking pupils in every class. Only then can a successful bilingual education take place. Therefore the following factors are considered at the enrolment:
- eligibility (orientation talk)
- statutory guidelines (siblings, residential district/proximity of residence to the school, maximum number of pupils per class)
- best possible balance of children in the class with either German or English as a first language
- enough eligible children to fill a class
More information can be found on the website of the City of Vienna.